WHO I AM
Hi there! My name is Nichole Aber, and I’m looking for an opportunity to learn and grow by helping others. I’m seeking a career, something that can both pay the bills and fulfill my passions. I’d love to work with a company that celebrates their employees as individuals, and would welcome a flexible team player with a diverse skillset.
My work history spans 17 years of customer service, and 13 years of marketing and design.
What can we create together?
WHAT I BELIEVE
It’s my belief that, on a basic level, everyone just wants to feel heard, understood, and respected. We as communicators have the tremendous task to do this quickly, efficiently, and effectively, to make transactions easy – whether those transactions are purchases, education, or assistance.
These are the general principles I live and work by:
- People don’t always read. Explain the concept in as few words as necessary to communicate it clearly.
- Tone is important. The tone of writing impacts the reader, and helps form their opinion of you and your organization. Just like a smile can come across in a phone call, readers can pick up on tone-of-voice in written words.
- Write like you talk. We’re all human, talking to other humans. Write like one.
- Speed is everything. Sending an email or requesting information from a company is a leap of faith… The sender is counting on a response. Don’t make them wait.
- Happy clients are the best marketing tool. No advertisement will ever beat the impact of positive referrals. Making and keeping clients happy should be priority #1 (and can only be achieved if the team is happy, passionate, and motivated!).
- Colleagues are people, too. Client service doesn’t just mean helping those who buy from you. It means anticipating the needs of your team. Your tribe. Coworkers need the same care and attention as clients or prospects.
- Always be helpful. There’s no such thing as “not my job.”
- Always be learning. ‘Nuff said.
WHERE I’VE BEEN
Burnsville, MN // January 2016 to June 2019
- Created and standardized brand, including typography and brand colors, all-new collateral, website, standardized brand voice, and client communication style
- Managed all web services including flexmation.com (WordPress), company intranet (SharePoint) and eStore (Shopify)
- Tailored website content to follow current SEO best practices, using tools like Yoast SEO (WordPress plugin)
- Created compelling email marketing campaigns for client base, using MailChimp
- Acted as main point-of-contact and customer service rep for several clients, from Fortune 500 companies to small businesses and individuals
- Implemented several new tools and methods to improve efficiency, reduce lag time, and enhance speed of service
- Posted updates and shared relevant industry news to social media feeds, including Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook, both direct and via HootSuite
- Participated in weekly leadership team meetings and quarterly/annual company planning meetings
- Tirelessly worked toward employee equality, team-building, and engagement
Marketing Production Artist
Minneapolis, MN // January 2013 to December 2015
- Created compelling responses to formal requests for quotation (RFQs) and requests for proposal (RFPs) for architectural and interior design services, solo or as part of a team. Included concept, strategy, writing, design, and print or digital production of files
- Wrote case studies for projects and biographies for colleagues to be used in RFQs/RFPs and online, often tailored to specific project requirements or client pursuit
- Managed transition from static HTML website to new, responsive site built with WordPress. As part of a team, developed concepts for design and implementation, and acted as liaison between design/marketing team and development team (translated geek-speak to English, and vice versa)
- Expert layout and pre-production of collateral pieces, including booklets, business cards, flyers, invitations, and more
- Early adopter for IT department, testing and providing feedback on new features, technologies, processes, and software
Alexandria, MN // August 2007 to December 2012
- Designed print and web advertisements for a variety of clients
- Created speculative ads (freeform, pre-purchase) to aid salespeople in generating new business
- Assisted web department in creation of websites for clients, using both static HTML/CSS and WordPress
- Wrote occasional guest column for the newspaper, and contributed articles, lists, and more for Chicz Magazine
- Implemented new design software within the department, and trained staff on its use and best practices, via documentation, team training, and one-on-one coaching
Prior to that, it’s all customer service – from a 4-star hotel resort to a grocery service counter. Boring to read about, but provided a critical people-first foundation for every position I’ve held since.
WHAT I’VE LEARNED
- WordPress.org (self-hosted) and WordPress.com usage, content creation, and customization, including Beaver Builder, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and other plugins
- Volunteer in WordPress.com forums since 2018
- WordCamp Minneapolis attendee since 2017
Ongoing Technical Skills Training
Normandale Community College
Alexandria Technical & Community College
- AAS, Communication Art & Design
Questions? Just ask. nroell [at] gmail.com